Friday, September 26, 2014

Scotland Part Two

The second half of our time in Scotland will be spent with Robert and Ross who live near Dumfries in Southern Scotland. Being boys they are also a little less plan oriented. We looked around the town of Dumfries, which had great old buildings full of history, including the building where the book Peter Pan was written! Also the poet Robert Burns is from Dumfries, they were dissapointed when I said that I had not heard of him, he is kind of a big deal here. Another fun fact is that the singer Calvin Harris is from Dumfries, Ross used to buy sandwiches from him, that made me laugh. 


In the evenings we went to the bars, which was to be expected when staying with two scottish boys for the weekend, don't worry we always took a cab home.

Being the daughter of a romance writer I was told to visit Gretna Green since we were so close. Gretna Green is the first town you get to when crossing the border from England and back in the day you had to be 18 to get married in England and only 16 in Scotland so many couples eloped in Gretna. It was a bit awkward going with two boys but I do like to keep my mommy happy :).

Anyone who knows me knows that I really don't like most American sports. We went to a rugby game and I was really worried it was going to be like watching American Football at home (which I find outright painful) but it wasn't! It was quick and more athletic and just all around better. We also stopped by a "Proper Village Cricket" game, I'll be honest I wasn't paying that great of attention but it still seemed better than US Football!

I have to mention the vote that was going on during our stay. Since I don't have extensive knowledge of the British Government system I can't get too indepth but the idea is that Scotland wasn't getting enough of a say when it came to the decisions made by the UK so they decided to vote on becoming an indipendent nation. People were really getting into the campaining, there were "YES" and "NO" written on pretty much everything; signs, buildings, livestock, haybales, hill sides etc. The vote happened on the 18th (after we left) and it was a no, which pleased our hosts :)

All of Scotland was great and it was wonderful to see some friends and have a more relaxing stay for a bit. I think a visit back is certainly in the future!