Sunday, November 30, 2014

First Foreign Thanksgiving

Lately we have been quite busy. Felix my oldest host brother is home for a long weekend from his University and we have been trying to see as much as we can while he is here.

The turkeys are growing fast! They are already using a different feeding system to accommodate their growing size and appetites. We don't need to check on them as often anymore either which is a relief for everyone.

Petra took the farm apprentice Finn and I to a town nearby that is next to the Rhine river. The bridge that crosses the river looks like a mini Golden Gate Bridge which was quite funny. The view of the town and river at sunset were amazing.

I cooked a Thanksgiving meal all by myself!! Turkey, stuffing, garlic mashed potatoes, gravy, salad, and a sweet potato pie. All from scratch. I am rather proud of this accomplishment, I won't hide it.
Here is some irony in it though, I am with a family who has thousands of adult turkeys but we bought a tiny turkey from the store.

Yesterday Felix and I went to Köln which he says is the fourth largest city in Germany. They had a couple great Christmas markets we walked through and a Lindt chocolate museum. But what they are known for is their cathedral. When he told me we were going to see another church I was kind of bummed because I have seen so many and they are all impressive but all the same anymore. This was hardly a church, the term cathedral is much better fitting. It was amazing. And the history was impressive as well. The cathedral is built on the ruins of a church built in 870, in 1164 an archbishop transferred the bones of the three magi ( the three wise men). A golden shrine was built to house such precious relics, it was finished in 1225. It was decided 23 years later that there should be a grand cathedral to keep such a treasure. Construction was constant until 1560 however a building 300 years old needed renovations already and therefore the building is constantly under construction.

Things have been good here in this family and I am sad that I only have a couple more days here, I am excited though that my next family will be my own, although that hasn't really hit me yet. I look forward to my final days in Germany and my travels back to my loved ones!