Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Hard and Fun Times at the Farm

Sunday morning was slow and easy, the afternoon however was a different story.

We were told we were visiting a castle and a rock thing.

As with all castles, there were tons of stairs. We saw some amazing views and some great history. Pictures pending.

The "rock thing" is a geographical anomaly of many rocks and boulders that make a wide large trail up a steep hill. Naturally the goal was to climb it.

As some of you may know, my fat to muscle ratio has been seriously adjusted since I left home. That in mind, this hill liked to have killed me. I was red faced and dying for a while. When it was done, I was glad we came but there were certainly some parts in the middle that I wasn't thrilled about.

On Monday, we butchered chickens. 85 to be exact. Out the door by 7:00 am and cutting by 7:30. My job was butt fat remover and yoga instructor, I positioned legs and wings.

The rest of the day was spent putting straw in bunks and cleaning pens. By the time we quit, I was ready for bed!


  • Today disaster struck. The apprentice didn't shut one of the chicken coops and a fox killed 85 laying hens last night. I haven't seen the scene yet but I've seen what it looks like when 10 chickens die, I can only imagine the mess 85 would make.